Yes, I am a coon-ass, although transplanted a few years ago to TX. So, for the past couple of years at our New Year's Eve celebration I have been making a chicken and sausage gumbo. We get together with our best friends and their families and ring in the New Year together. It is always alot of fun. Especially for the kiddos. They get to celebrate with us, play games, watch the ball drop, and drink sparkling cider from plastic champagne flutes. Oh what fun.
This year we are going to our friends house and I am making the gumbo (no one else knows how or wants to learn). Anyway, I decided to go ahead and make the roux tonight so it's easier tomorrow.
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
1/2 c veg. oil + a little for browning meat
1 lb sausage of your choice (we like jalapeno sausage) sliced
2-3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
seasoning blend (I use Emeril's Essence)
1 cup flour
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup chopped celery
3 bay leaves
8 cups chicken stock
1. Brown sausage in a little veg. oil.
2. Remove sausage from pot with slotted spoon and place on paper towels.
3. Season chicken with seasoning and brown chicken in sausage drippings and left over oil.
4. Remove chicken and place in a bowl to cool. Refrigerate when cooled.
5. Add 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup veg oil to pot, and start stirring. Cook over med. heat stirring continuously.
Cont. stirring for about 20-30 min. Make sure it doesn't burn! This is what it will look like...
It should be the color of chocolate.
6. Add veg. and cook until soft about 5 min.
7. Add cayenne pepper, bay leaves, sausage, and chicken stock. Cook on low for about 1 hour.
8. Add chicken and simmer for 3 more hours. ( Pics to follow. I stopped at step 7 and refrigerated to finish tomorrow.)
9. Serve over rice.
PS. Don't eat the bay leaves;)